Celebrating A Few of the Unsung Heroes of July 4th
July 4th marks the 243rd birthday of the United States of America—and that means that for 243 years, government employees have worked hard to make sure we have a functioning nation to celebrate each Independence Day. And not only that, but government employees are in many ways the unsung heroes of our July 4th celebrations each year. Here are a few ways that government employees are directly involved in many of the ways we celebrate this important national holiday:
- They preserve the fast, safe, efficient, accessible, and convenient transportation system. Our roads, airports, and other transportation systems allow us to gather and celebrate with friends, family, and other members of our communities, whether down the road or on the other side of the country.
- They maintain parks and other public sites. Many of these locations are where Independence Day parades, ceremonies, and fireworks displays are held each year.
- They regulate the manufacture and sale of both commercial and consumer fireworks. Our July 4th celebrations wouldn’t be the same without fireworks, and government employees help ensure not only that we that we have our pyrotechnics, but that they are as safe as possible.
- They administer programs to keep beaches and coastal waters free from pollution. Clean, safe beaches are a cornerstone of many families’ July 4th traditions.
- They respond quickly to help us handle accidents and injuries. While July 4th is a time of celebration, many of our traditions, including fireworks, can be hazardous.
- They protect and display the historical treasures of our nation. As we visit museums, monuments, and archives, we help remember and commit to our founding principles— like the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
As we take the time to celebrate our nation, we should also take a few moments to be thankful for the many government agencies and employees who are dedicated to making it work—and to helping us enjoy it!
MicroPact is honored to serve 98% of U.S. states and 97% of federal agencies with 500 or more employees. We recognize and support the commitment of government employees. If you’re interested in how we can support your agency’s needs, reach out today.
- HCBS Waivers Work Best When All Stakeholders Share Data July 17, 2019
- How Technology Can Help Counter Violent Extremism July 9, 2019
- Celebrating A Few of the Unsung Heroes of July 4th July 3, 2019
- 2019 Medicaid Enterprise Systems Conference (MESC) August 19-22 Chicago, IL